Monday, May 26, 2014

How I Deal with Difficult Days


A very common question people think about is “What do I do when my day turns to crud?” Everyone has their own way to cheer themselves up, or make light of a bad situation, so here is what I do.

Often when I am feeling down in the dumps and just don’t want to do anything my first instinct is to curl up into a ball on my bed, put a blanket over my head and just shut out the world. Lately I have been trying to break this habit.

When dealing with horrible days, especially during my freshman year, I basically had to remove myself from whatever was bringing my day down. Basically I force myself to do a form of meditation. Taking a couple moments to myself whenever I was feeling overloaded helped me be more calm and collected rather than scattered and stressed.

One of the best ways I have found to bring yourself back together is to take a couple moments and just breathe. Yes, breathe. I like to take deep breaths and try and clear my head and forget about whatever it is that is upsetting me. I love to think about something peaceful like lying in a hammock on the beach, just something totally different from what I am going through. When I do this I imaging that on each breathe I take in I am relaxing more and more and good stuff is coming my way, and when I exhale I imagine the negativity and stress just leaving my body and going away.

When it comes down to freaking out over assignments, tests, essays or whatever the case may be, I am an expert at overstressing. My boyfriend constantly has to remind me to stop freaking out and that I can do it. Reminding yourself that you CAN actually do something is one of the best self-confidence boosters and motivators. If something is getting of track or going wrong, you have the power to fix it.

This whole thing is mind over matter. When I am having a horrible day and feel as though everything is going to swallow me whole, it is important to take a step back and reconvene. 

That is my main way, other little ways include watching movies or reading or just being silly. Those things I detailed in my post about cheering up. 

Good luck with making the most out of difficult days. Hugs from my computer to yours, <3 Kimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment