Tuesday, November 17, 2015
What to do When You ARE Sick
Tis the season! The cold and flu season that is. With the weather changing, temperatures dropping, and stress levels rising for impending finals, it is easy to become subject to tiny cold virus invaders. I did a post a while ago about how to avoid getting sick, but I thought it would be helpful to do a post about what to do when preventative measures fail.
- Take advantage of the campus health center. The health center can give you a check up and make sure nothing is seriously wrong, and give you a note for class if need be. Plus, doctors will be able to give your more specific advice for your particular case compared to my blanket advice.
- H20! Drinking lots of water will not only help keep you hydrated, but assist in flushing out the gunk and toxins in your system.
- Keep an emergency stash. It is always a good idea to have an emergency kit of supplies you might need when sick/not feeling well: ibuprophen, cough syrup, NyQuil/DayQuil, Tums, etc. Don’t try to go it alone, medication exists for a reason, it will make your life easier while sick and help you get better quicker.
- Get some Z’s. When you are asleep your body hard at work and is able to dedicate more of its resources to repairing your body. And when fighting an infection your body will especially need sleep because it makes it easier for your body to fight the virus.
- Don’t forget to eat. I know when you’re sick a lot of time you loose your appetite. However, it is really important to force yourself to eat and get the nutrition you need to stay healthy.
Being sick while trying to balance school, work, and everything else under the sun really sucks. So I hope these tips help you guys. I am currently getting over a cold, which is why I thought it would be fitting to write this. Stay healthy my friends, and good luck with the rest of the semester.