Sunday, November 15, 2015

University Applications Advice

So I am currently in the same boat as high school seniors and putting in my application to transfer to a university! EEEEEPPP! In all honesty, I am pretty nervous for this transition because I am not the best with dealing with change. I am facing the bittersweet emotions of being excited to transition to the next level of my education, but nervous to leave the comfort I have settled into at community. So, all in all, on par with what I was feeling as a senior transitioning to college.
So here are some tips for being halfway through the application period:

1. Make sure you have had someone proof read your essays. This is really important because you have a word limit and so you want to hit your point home without going overboard or over wording.

2. Don’t stress about trying to be the most original or most embellished in your essays, just be yourself. Colleges want to know about you, they don’t want to read a pretentious done up essay meant to impress them. Show them who you are and why YOU are different, why YOU are a good applicant.

3. Keep your deadlines in mind. They can catch up to you quicker than you would expect. For CSU’s and UC’s the deadline is actually November 30th, but for many privates the deadlines can be in December, or even January. Set deadlines for yourself to make sure you are getting everything done and not rushing at the last minute because sites are known to crash, and you wouldn’t want to waste all your hard work to get the app in late.

4. Be on the lookout for scholarships! I will be posting something separate on my advice for scholarships at a later date, so be sure to look out for that, but it is a good idea to start applying now, because their may be some specific for the schools you are applying to or the area you are from.

5. Don’t Panic. Take a lesson from Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. So take a deep breath, remember it will be ok, and don’t forget your towel!

I wish you all luck!
<3 Kimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment