Friday, November 20, 2015

How to: DIY Z-Palette

I am a big fan of making your own palettes and a lot of brands sell eyeshadow pans in just pan form that can stick to a magnetic palette. However, Z-Palettes can get expensive when the start at $15 for a small one. Don't get me wrong, I love my Z-Palette, but before I could afford my first one, I found a DIY video on YouTube that taught me how to make my own. 

What you need:
     - A Crayola or Roseart water paint palette
     - Magnet sheets with a sticky side
     - Optional: Fun duct tape

1. To start, you take out the plastic part holding the water paints and the brush. If you are using the Crayola version like I did you will need to break off the little plastic pieces that hold the brush as well as the piece that is used to hang the palette. This is a bit time consuming because you will have to sand it down flat enough to put the magnet sheet on smoothly.

2. Once you have a smooth and empty palette, trace the size of magnet you need and cut it out. IMPORTANT: before you peel of the backing to stick the magnet in, make sure it fits inside easily. You will have to trim the sides a bit because you used the bottom as a stencil.

3. Peel off the backing and place the magnet sheet in. Don't forget to smooth out any air bubbles and make it as stuck on as possible. Press down on the sheet until you feel it is done. (I have a line because I wound up having to use magnet square pieces instead of the roll.)


4. This part is optional, but I had some minion duct tape and decided to make my palette a bit more fun by putting the tape over the magnet. And Nixx decided to cuddle the palette as I was taking photos.

And you are done! My palette is currently housing the majority of my Makeup Geek Foiled shadows as well as some of my brighter colors (like Mac's Rule) and misc shadows.

Overall the process took me about 45 minutes to make, I had a lot of fun, and I have extra magnets left over if I want to make another one.

Good luck!
<3 Kimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment