Thursday, February 4, 2016

Items Every College Student Should Have in Their Medicine Cabinet

As I mentioned in my recent post, the cold season has finally caught up with me. I just got back from Walgreens to pick up cold medication and decided that I should do a post about the handful of items I feel like every college student should have in their medicine cabinet for when you get sick.


1. Some kind of Cold/Flu/Cough syrup - I pretty much always have day and night time cold medicine stashed away under my bathroom sink. I feel like you should always have a day and night time version, because when you have a lot of things to get done, the last thing you need is to be kept up all night because of *insert symptom here.* Also, the day versions are specifically meant to be non-drowsy so you can still kick butt.

Here is a little cheat sheet for what you want to look out for depending on your symptoms:
Sneezing - Decongestant
Cough - Cough Suppressant as well as something to get rid of mucus
Acetaminophen - this will help reduce fever and is also a pain reliever

2. Cough Drops. I always, always have cough drops because you never know when you are going to have a sore throat, dry, etc. I keep two types of cough drops around: one with Menthol and Luden's. When you have a painful cough or sore throat, you will want to get a cough drop with menthol in it because it works as an anesthetic which means it will numb your throat and help with the pain. My favorite are the Ricola Cherry Honey ones because they don't taste overwhelmingly like menthol and actually have a pleasant taste. Also, I keep Luden's around because I have been using these since I was little. They taste good and is amazing for just every day.

3. A thermometer - well...duh. You should always have this.

4. Tums - I always have tums or some sort of anti-acid because my stomach tends to over produce acid when I am stressed, but you never know when food is going to disagree with you, when heartburn is going to strike, etc.

5. Soup! Haha I wanted to include this because when you are sick classic Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup is a lifesaver.

For more info, you can check out my posts on how to avoid getting sick and what to do when you get sick.

Take Care,
Kimmie

No comments:

Post a Comment