Hey guys! So I wanted to do this post because I have been suffering from depression and sever anxiety as well as bi-polar for quite a while. But the biggest key is to just find things that cheer you up and make you feel relaxed.
1. Watch a Disney Movie (or really any "kid movie"). Nothing brings back that childhood enthusiasm and innocence like Disney. When you watch a Disney movie you can just feel like a little kid again, when everything was simple. Some of my favorite "kid" movies are Beauty and the Beast, Alice in Wonderland, Tangled and Treasure Planet.
2. Fluffy animals: Petting or cuddling with your pet is actually very therapeutic. A good alternative, Googling pictures of cute, baby, fluffy animals or watching YouTube videos (escaping panda!)
3. Get Comfy. Curling up with a stuffed animal, a cup of hot chocolate and reading a good book. This pulls you out of the real world and into a world of adventure or mystery or the supernatural, wherever the story takes you, it gives you an escape.
4. Meditate. Meditation is a very useful way to relieve stress and anxiety. Through meditation you basically are removing yourself from everything that is happening, removing yourself from your thoughts and just relaxing and allowing your mind to take a break amd sort through everything.
5. Take a bubble bath (or if you prefer a hot shower)! I know this sounds cheesy but bubble baths/showers will relax your muscles and allow you to ease back and take time for yourself. Remember, don't get caught up in thoughts about what made you upset, but try to clear your mind. And people actually do most of there thinking in the shower.
6. Build a Fort! When is the last time you built a fort out of couch cushions and random stuff around the house? Remember how fun it is to just be a little kid again and be silly and care free. Maybe even invite a friend to join you and have a paper airplane fight or pretend that you are warring kingdoms. Just have fun. (Building a fort blog post: click here!)
7. Watch Funny Videos. Three words: America's Funniest Videos! Or just go to YouTube. They say that laughter is the best medicine and I most certainly agree. After all, who can be sad after you just made your sides hurt from laughing? Laugh until you can feel six-pack abs coming in!
8. Ice Cream. I seriously, who can resist ice cream? Cuz I know I can't! Ice cream has to be
one of my favorite things in the world. Plus, chocolate releases endorphins in your brain, basically a "happy signal."
9. Non-depressing Music! One of the worst things to do when you are down is to listen to music that continues that trend! Put on some funny or silly music. Or even listen to kids music. My happy music is stuff like "If I didn't have you" from Quest for Camelot and the sho-be-do song from Tarzan.
10. Blowing Bubbles. One thing I tend to do is go to the park nezt to my house and sit on oneof the swinfs and just vlow bubbles. It's a lot of fun and you can just relax and then race around popping the bubbles! Ha ha.
So the moral of this post is that when you are down or upset, do something that makes you happy, find something that makes you laugh. Don't let it get you down! You havepeople who care about you and think that you are an amazing person. Don't be afraid to shine and when things seem at their lowest, just remember to smile!
"Regrets are the past crippling you in the present" - Under the Tuscan Sun