Sunday, October 19, 2014

Why "Secrets" by Mary Lambert is an Important Song

Recently a new song hit the radio stations. A song called Secrets by Mary Lambert.

When I first heard this song come on the radio, I didn’t really care for it. But one day I decided to listen to the song rather than changing the station. I really listened to the lyrics that flowed through the car speakers. And as I listened I was truly and deeply impacted by the powerful message that flowed to a catchy rhythm.

This song shouts a very key message, loud and clear into a world where the truth of this message has been lost in the plastic and superficiality of a lot of media today.

What I love about this song is Mary Lambert points out that you have the right to be whoever you want to be. You don’t need to hide who you are or change yourself to be beautiful. You don’t need to be someone you are not. This is something I have to constantly remind myself of, and it is really nice to see it pop up in a media so built around this idea of unattainable perfection.

I think this song is incredibly important, especially for young kids to hear. When they look at a magazine and see this perfectly thin woman or a tall and muscular man, especially with both genders being so sexualized, their ideas of what is beautiful, how they should act, dress and what they should be is constantly skewed and filtered into this laundry list of things expected of society. (As you can tell I really don’t like this about media.)

But that is why I like this song so much. It combats this imagery and this message by saying you are fine just being you, what does it matter if the world knows the things you don’t like about yourself, or your quirks or the fact that you wear jeans and t-shirts all the time rather than dressing up. WHO CARES! Is what this song shouts. You should be whoever you want and that is ok.

I love songs like this such as Lady Gaga’s Born This Way, Pink’s Pretty Pretty Please and Bruno Mars Just the Way You Are. All these songs are so positive and I love it!

So always remember, that you just have to be yourself and you should love yourself truly and completely. And don’t worry if this doesn’t happen right away, it is a process and a journey, one that I am still on as well. Like Dr. Seuss said “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” So go forth and be you!


 
Hope this post helped perk up some people or gave a bit of motivation to someone out there. As always, good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment